23 Eylül 2012 Pazar

Medal of Honor and Trauma

Bearing both the Medal of Honor and trauma
September 23, 2012 - For Dakota Meyer, the Medal of Honor is a full-time job, which keeps him on the road 20 or more days each month.

... As when he appeared at a job fair for veterans in Quantico, Va.:

"When they told me that I would be receiving the Medal of Honor I told them that I didn't want it, because I don't feel like a hero," Meyer said. "But then the president said something to me: 'It's bigger than you.' And I never really thought about that until afterward, and it is bigger than me."

(CBS News) Starting over after a traumatic event is never an easy task, not even for a young man this nation honors as a hero. Our Cover Story is reported by National Security Correspondent David Martin:

Behind that jaunty air lies some of the toughest lessons any young man ever had to learn.

First, there was the battle in a remote Afghan valley for which he received the medal - a bloody, five-hour firefight which left four Marines and one soldier dead.

Meyer called it the worst day of his life - "A day that has forever changed my life."

Meyer and his fellow Marines drove into a gauntlet of fire from up to 100 insurgents. He went back again and again, trying to reach buddies trapped in the ambush. But he didn't get there in time. And he has been haunted by that ever since.

"I can never forget that I'm a failure, and it's in the face of the nation, not just me." read more>>>


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder